Saturday, April 1, 2017

Don Alberto- Rice Cleaner


Don Alberto, sporting the classic Panama hat with stripes
On my way to Torti, I stopped by a curious little building, wherein Don Alberto cleans rice for families all over the Torti and Darien areas. His family has been providing the service for “many” years. Alberto was closing up for the day, but turned the machine on for me since I was so interested. In goes the (semi-clean) raw rice in husk, the machine does its thing and nice brown rice (arroz integral) comes out the side, husks go to a pile out back. All for only 15 cents per kilo. During the main harvest months of December, January and
Raw rice, still in the husk
finished clean brown rice
February, he runs just about 24/7 to keep up with demand. He also sells the rice he grows, so I bought a kilo for 75 cents. And here I thought I could only get brown rice in Panama City at the big supermarket.
It turns out we were born just 1 month apart – he'll be 66 tomorrow. Another coincidence - He visited a friend in Ipeti and used one of the GB Banos - "no smell and VERY big" he said. He said he would like one better than his flush toilet “Why waste all that water?” Alberto says he is never sick because he eats ONLY brown rice, 3 times a day – he says the white rice has “no meat – like eating air”. I couldn’t agree more.
I find so many sweet and interesting folks out there. All it takes is a little curiosity and interest in people.
Or maybe, they find me.click for video



The heliconia (not Bird of Paradise) that I saved from the trash heap is blooming nicely. Steady watering, with an added boost from my special horse manure elixir. Stirred, not shaken. Still waiting on the rains to transplant.

While Momma was chowing and watering down at the cottage, I snuck down to have a look at her pups, since she won’t let me come close to them, if she’s there – snarls and growls like a mad dog.. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you…. 
Anyway, the pups look fat and happy and sound asleep.






I harvested my first SEVEN hand bunch of bananas today. (Yes, I sang the “Day-O” song as I did it.) Just about needed a crane to get it out of the tree. But, it yielded and is now resting comfortably on the ripening racks. When I get that 8 hand bunch, I’ll feel like a real Banana-Mon.






No comments:

Post a Comment