Saturday, February 4, 2017

Here We Go Again

I mean that 'we" part. Your kind interest and support really does make a difference to my service - our service. Thank you all for that. That said, it's time to saddle up.
Spectacular lights in the Urraca park near my hotel welcomed me back to Panama


Hello Friends. Welcome back to another Peace Corps service with Goyo.
I’m pleased to say that I’m happily back in my adorable little cottage in Torti, Panama. Things are pretty much the way I left them, except for a missing hammock, tools and machete. Lots of cleaning needed, but nothing outrageous. The termites made a mess of the books, so many thrown out. The trip itself was pleasant and educational.

The park the next morning. This was my first sight in Panama
last year, as well.
I sat with a very nice Muslim couple in their 30's on my flight from Daytona to Atlanta. We talked some about my Peace Corps work, but mostly about Trump and their fears. They are 3rd generation US Citizens, yet lately feel particularly threatened, especially when travelling. They said they are comfortable in their neighborhood and at work, But not so much in public. They are putting off having children because of their uncertainties.
As I walked with them off the plane and down the concourse, I really got to see the Division of Americans. A few showed disdain. One man even muttered something about them not belonging here. Yet, there were many smiles and thumbs-up directed at them. One older lady came up to them and said "not to worry. I support you."
There is still a lot of decency, tolerance and respect hidden beneath the facade of TRump and his minions.

Always a treat to see old friends at the Peace Corps office
On my flight from Atlanta to Panama, I sat with a nice lady from Minnesota, who works for 3M. Her job is to travel to wherever major operational changes are being made and help the folks accept and adapt to those changes. Aside from feeling like I was in a scene from "Fargo", I was struck by how similar our work is. Any Peace Corps volunteer can tell you that resistance to change is often a huge obstacle in development. Folks are comfortable with the way things are. Even when they are shown the obvious advantages of something new, they tend to resist.
What is it about us humans that resists change ?? Genetic? Cultural?
The cottage is just as adorable and comfortable as ever !!

It was nice to be greeted by a familiar face after clearing Customs at the Panama City airport . My friend Jose was sent to fetch me, commenting on how "cool" it was. Well, sort of.
It's 75F this morning, compared to a brisk 40F in Ponce Inlet. But, Ariel says it's a dry heat. Uh Huh. 85% RH.
Forecast high of 86F. Just so long as it goes below 80F at night, so I can sleep, I'm fine.

As we approached the hotel, I was greeted by a stunning sight in the park near my hotel - see photo above. Urraca Park has been renovated with new landscaping and walkways and fantastic lights, outlining the huge banyan trees. Christmas lights still up !! Not quite as spectacular the next morning, but the renovations are a welcome change.

Nearly 12 hours of daylight - I'm loving being back already !!
Lots of mangoes on the way !!

Orientation at Peace Corps office in the old Fort Clayton and meetings with my partner Global Brigades all went well. It was great to see the familiar faces and sights. I do miss the challenge of figuring out where everything is and how things work. But, only a little.

The Swearing In ceremony was nicely attended. The Oath is a little dry, but I got choked up, as usual, reciting the Peace Corps Pledge. It really represents how I feel about the Peace Corps. This is how it goes:

I , Greg Plimpton promise to serve alongside the people of Panama.
I promise to share my culture with an open heart and open mind.
I promise to foster an understanding of the people of Panama, with creativity, cultural sensitivity, and respect.
I will face the challenges of service with patience, humility, and determination.
I will embrace the mission of world peace and friendship for as long as I serve and beyond.
In the proud tradition of Peace Corps’ legacy, and in the spirit of the Peace Corps family past, present, and future- I am (very proud to be) a Peace Corps Volunteer.
I added the “very proud to be” part.

Bananas at the cottage - ready to harvest
Then, after some last minute shopping, I rode the Coaster back to Torti. My old friend Cecilio boarded the bus in Chepo and we talked all the way home. What a nice surprise. Sadly his father died about 3 weeks ago, followed by his mother last week. They had been married 59 years.
When we got to Torti, a little more shopping. And who should show up but my old friend and favorite Taxi driver Ariel. It really does feel like coming home. And starting anew – all at the same time.

All the leaves are off the gorgeous Spiral Ginger - sad.
That papaya was just a seedling when I left
One big change is that my friend Pablo of Global Brigades is leaving to be head of the new Nicaragua branch. I had a delightful drive and visit with Irene, his replacement, who was head of their medical staff. She answered one of my burning questions about Kuna birth control after they have their traditional 2 or 3 children. She actually did a survey a few years back and found that about 30% use standard pills or condoms, another 10% abstain, 10% use an herb which does not allow a fetus to attach to the uterus. That leaves half who either did not respond or checked “other”. So, the mystery is still only partly solved.

The only aggravating thing is that EVERYBODY wants to know about how in the world a crazy man was elected President of the US. They think we have surely lost our minds. They are very concerned that he will cause unrest and harm in the world. All I can say is that I didn’t vote for him. Then again, Panamanians had their own version of a Trump in Ricardo Martinelli back in 2009. He instituted a pro-business agenda that led to an increase in water pollution and huge corruption scandals. He also cleverly minted $1 coins for minimal cost, which are still called “martinellis”.
This will stop you guys from smoking

On a humorous? note : The warnings on Panama cigarettes are REALLY scary - on several levels.

Last night was wonderfully cool and full of the night sounds of the jungle – insects and bats and geckos – all creating a symphony to lull me asleep. This morning, the birds took their turn – chirping song birds, squawking parrots and crowing roosters. Add a cool breeze, sunny skies. And color me HAPPY !!




No comments:

Post a Comment