Thursday, February 9, 2017

Bananas and Speed

A 6 hand bunch on the tree
First bananas at the cottage this year. Going from on the tree to MacGuyver ripening racks. Then after 4 days, yellowing starts on the first 2 hands of a "6 hand bunch". Ready to eat in another 2-3 days.
Unlike the American standard Cavendish banana, on which all hands ripen at the same time, my fat little nanners ripen hand by hand, spreading out the joy. I'll still share with the neighbors - way more than I can consume.


Cut from the tree and drained of sap


After 4 days, yellowing begins on first 2 hands



























E Ticket

Usually, the other passengers are what make my bus rides interesting. Today, it was the driver. I mean, this man was an artist, who turned what is normally a 4+ hour drive into a 2 ½ hour ballet of 2-lane passing, swooping into bus stops and weaving through downtown traffic like an NFL half-back. That included 3 police check=points and a pit stop for gas !!  He was a solid professional who could teach NASCAR drivers a trick or two. I haven’t seen such a display of focused, aggressive, high-speed driving since I last rode with Diego Shoobridge in Peru, or my Pappy on the old Hwy 301.  Or me on Hwy 1 in Big Sur. Yes, there were a few who gasped and suffered from white knuckle syndrome. But, I enjoyed the ride. Definitely an “E” Ticket. Or maybe I’m just easily entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment