Friday, June 29, 2018

Tia Sofia, The Hospital and World Cup Finale

Tia Sofia - a bundle of joy


I headed over to Tia Sofia’s house in an early morning rain, to watch Panama’s last game in the 2018 World Cup against Tunisia – their best hope for a win. I found no Tia, but a small group, praying and led by a woman whose tones are usually reserved for Televangelists. I had the distinct impression that someone had died and stayed outside, until someone came down the street and informed me that Tia was in the hospital, having “fallen” while cooking her breakfast foods the day before.
I forgot the game and walked nervously to the nearby hospital. The place looked deserted, with just old fellow at the front desk, who directed me to Sofia’s room. The hallways, too, were void of activity except for the dull tones of the soccer game, playing in some far-off room. Tia and 3 other patients were packed into a room that was likely meant for 2 and was asleep. So, I walked home to watch the game alone in my room.

Raul Mena is the big regional hospital, part of Panama’s public health system of universal health care. While the care is free, it may not be the best. The facility looked worn and crowded, but quite clean and neat. They must use the same disinfectant as the US, as the place had that distinctive “hospital smell”. Tia had no monitoring equipment attached and the room had no TV. The floors had that 60’s black and white checked tile pattern, with a green lane up the middle.
Moment of joy as Panama scored an early goal against Tunisia

I went back to my apartment to watch the game alone, arriving just in time to see Panama score their first goal. From the reaction of the team and crowd, you’d have thought they had just one the finals. Two Tunisian goals quickly dampened early hopes of a Cup win for Panama, as they lost 2-1 and finished last in their initial Group G. While not a stellar performance in their first-ever World Cup, I will never forget the excited celebrations when they qualified to go to Russia, nor the moment I was moved to tears at their pride as their team took to the World Cup field for the first time and stood for the anthem.
After the game, I went back to the hospital, now in pouring rain, to see Sofia. The place had returned to a normal hospital bustle, but Tia was still asleep. I finally found a cooperative nurse, who explained she was medicated and maybe I could come back that night or in the morning. Her remarks were curt and muddled, but I did hear “heart problem” and “blood clot”, neither of while were encouraging.
I returned last night, to find Tia surrounded by a group of well-wishers, many of whom were clearly praying. She looked dazed and weak. When I shouted out her name, she had to ask someone who it was. I’m not sure if her vision is impaired. This morning’s visit was no more satisfying as she was sleeping again and no more information was forthcoming from the staff.
It saddens me to she this woman, who is normally so vivacious and full of life and joy, laid low like this. But, such is life. It’s also a reminder that Peace Corps service allows us to share in not only the joyous moments, but suffer some not-so-happy ones, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment