Sunday, February 25, 2018

Muddy Days and Rainy Nights



As work continues on the water line projects in Santos and Junquito, we are slowed by the continuing rains. The rainy season normally ends in early February and “summer”, as the dry season is called here begins. This is true on the dryer Pacific side of the isthmus, but the Caribbean side is still wrapped in fog and rain. Fortunately, the rain comes mostly at night, allowing work during the day, albeit humid and muddy. There are times I yearn for my service site in San Luis de Canete, Peru – where EVERY day was clear and dry. But, the rich, lush, green beauty of the jungle is rewarding compensation.


Sometimes, the mud gets so deep that my boot gets suctioned in and my foot starts to come out. I’ve developed a twisting motion that let’s me slowly extract it. The slimy trails also make downhill travel a bit hazardous for me. I’ve done the “back-side slide” more times than I’d like to admit. After witnessing some of my better slides, the folks in Nudobidi decided to give me a Ngobe (indigenous) name. It translates as “butt bone towards ground”. Glad we all have a good sense of humor.

The communities have made some progress moving materials to the construction sites and I’ve been supervising and assisting with replacement of damaged pipes, fittings and valves. The folks are really happy to be working on a project they know will bring better water to their villages. I’m particularly excited to see the children so eager to help. They work hard, often lifting materials much
larger and heavier than you might expect – racing ahead to do more. A bit sad that the young adults – teenagers – don’t show up to help. Perhaps they’re too busy with their phones.









Before (above) and after
The lot next door to the apartments where I stay used to be a gorgeous tree-covered plant nursery. Lamentably, it’s been sold and the new owner has CLEAR CUT every single tree. Does devastation always need to be the price of progress? Very sad that the hundreds of parakeets that used to sit in those fallen trees and squawk all afternoon have fled, leaving the neighborhood oddly silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment