Friday, July 8, 2016

Jungle River Cruise

Loading at Gamboa Docks
Jungle River Cruise
I’ve seen the Panama Canal from the road and from the train, so I figured why not see it from a boat. A tour group was available that leaves from the Gamboa docks, at the second set of locks and travels up the Canal for a bit and then up a side river through the jungle to a floating “hotel” and lodge for lunch and then goes on a kayak trip further up river to a sweet little waterfall , deep in the jungle.
Organ Grinder Monkey

A van picked me up at my hotel, after which we went across the great Bridge of the Americas to the far side Windham Eco Hotel, where Obama stayed during his visit to Panama last year. A luxury 5 star hotel that far out from town is quite a trip. We headed for the Gamboa docks, passing the prison where Gen Noriega is being held – quite comfortably, I imagine.
The boat was a small 20 passenger outboard affair, very similar to the Disney ride. Full of Americans, except for a very nice couple from Mexico. It was really interesting to see the Canal and RR from that different perspective. The Canal water is really muddy, what with all the constant dredging and big boats stirring up the bottom with their props.
Howler Monkeys napping in tree

A small tamarin monkey
As we headed up river, the water began to clear and we saw 3 kinds of monkeys, big iguanas, crocs, caimans, all sorts of birds and a small boa constrictor. The plant life is rich and amazing, really hard to show well in photos. We then took a very narrow waterway into a swampy area and finally arrived at a large floating Lodge, which is also a 4 room hotel. Outstanding meal, especially for being so far off the beaten path. They have their own power generator, conveniently placed well away from the Lodge and a water purification (reverse osmosis) plant. Bathrooms are composting toilets. They also catch rainwater for further purification. So,
The floating Jungle Lodge
I was impressed with the whole operation.
After lunch, they lead a kayak trip further up river, through a VERY narrow channel, to a waterfall and swimming basin. The cool fresh water was greatly appreciated after the kayak effort. I had a lovely young lady from Turkey, who just graduated from Berkeley as my partner and we did very well, leading the fleet the entire time. The rains
Proving that old white men can still jump

Brought back memories of my kayak days in my teens
started, right on schedule as we headed back to the Lodge and then back to the docks.

I don’t usually do group tours, but this one was very pleasant. 


















Dogs

The recent , very public execution of CK, the “Chicken Killer” pup has had a rather nice fall out effect on the other puppies. The brother and sister now play together, whereas she was always excluded from play and sat with her mother before. The pups are much friendlier, coming right up to me with tail wagging, instead of CK’s snarling distance. And there has been absolutely no chicken chasing or worse. Instead, the pups have a new nemesis, in the form of a kitty from next door. The chase is perfectly harmless, since kitty has about twice their speed. And no more barking at every passing vehicle on the road, which was always led by the infamous CK. All in all, the dog situation is greatly improved. I doubt it had anything to do with disciplining CK or offing him in front of all the dogs. Rather, a “bad” dog has simply gone – wherever bad dogs go.

Skeeters
I am simply flummoxed over the mosquito situation here. I came to Panama with great warnings about the little flying beasts and was issued a full mosquito sleeping net, DEET repellent and prophylactic medication. A somber to-do was made about the dangers of even one bite, which could result in Dengue, malaria or Zika.
I arrived at the end of a very long dry season and figured I was safe until the rains came. But, the rains have come and I have yet to see, hear or feel the wrath of the terrible mosquito. Around the Cottage, this might be due to the mostly cleared land all around me. The only standing water is found in mud puddles at the side of the road, which mostly dry up between downpours. And the BATS, which zoom and dance every night by the dozens outside (and once inside) the Cottage.
Fair enough. But I also don’t get bitten when I visit my two very rural villages, one of which has a very slow moving river at its side. Or even when we venture out into deep jungle to work on water lines No Skeeters.
I did, however, get a stunning reassurance of the mosquitos’ Panamanian wrath near the New Canal in Colon. I stepped out of the taxi to get a photo of some monkeys and was instantly engulfed by a mighty horde. The likes of which I’ve only known at a really bad anchorage off Peter Island in the BVI and ashore on an unhabituated island on the Abacos, Bahamas.
Everyone around  here tells me that mosquitos are not an issue, away from the rivers. Even then, not a big deal. Only 122 cases of malaria and 34 of Zika in the whole country. Maybe Peace Corps is just doing their usual overly-cautious en loco parentis drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment