Saturday, June 3, 2017

Lydia Update (and a mission)


On my way back from work in Curti today, Lydia (the first woman bus driver in these parts, maybe in Panama) was my driver. I told her about posting her photo and accomplishment on Facebook. And I thought she was going to cry. She said that American women were her heroes.
So, to all my American women friends, I say THANK YOU for being the trailblazers, the women who led the way for the rest of the women of the world. For that you can be honestly proud. I applaud all of you.
Then, Lydia noticed the Peace Corps logo on my cap and she lit up. “Cuerpo de Paz !!” she exclaimed. It turns out that a Peace Corps volunteer had lived near her small town close to Agua Fria when she was 10 or 11 years old. That volunteer was named Katy and told the girls that they could be anything they wanted to be. Obviously, the message stuck with Lydia, as she became something that was unheard of, if not impossible, at the time. It is the classic example of how what we PC volunteers do and say can be every bit as important as the technical assistance we give.
I will be in the Peace Corps office in 3 weeks and I am making it my solemn mission to track down “Katy” and let her know this outcome of her service, so many years (15 to 20?) ago. I think she deserves that.


Bimbo, the boy puppy from next door, is the explorer in the dog family. Today, he finally found his way up the steps and onto my porch. He was well rewarded.



More Panama Hat styles.


Global Brigades volunteers from Oklahoma State came to Curti and helped start 6 new Bano units.








The mud was unreal






















Panama Reading List:
Path Between the Seas – McCullough
Darien Gap – Mitchinson
Panama Hat Trail – Miller
Phantom Gringo Boat - Kene


1 comment:

  1. Applause for Lydia and a big hello!!! And lots of pets for Bimbo the pups!!!💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete