Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Kuna Catalog and much more



This is what the well appointed Bano looks like
Another group of Global Brigades volunteers today in Ipeti - from SMU and Kings College London. They started in on 6 new Bano units. GB also did a beautiful job of laminating my Bano poster from Peru. Placed one in each unit and inspected for proper use. Only 2 of 30 failed. Someone obviously didn't train those 2 properly. Mea Culpa




All along the PanAmerican Hwy around Torti, you’ll see the tiny little “butcher shops”. They are owned and operated by families with a small herd of cattle. Every Friday night or Saturday morning, they’ll slaughter and butcher one cow. Saturday is meat shopping day, for those who don’t have refrigeration. They usually sell out by Saturday afternoon. Talk about fresh meat……..


This is my new friend Edgardo, who likes to be called “Edo”, and his father Olo, which is short for some longer name, I’m sure. They were my wonderful company on a recent bus trip. They live in one of the Kuna villages displaced by the dam, though that was long before either of them was born. They traveled 1.5 hours by boat to get to the bus stop and were headed to Edo’s cousin’s birthday party in Chepo. We drummed on the seats in rhythm to the music and shared smiles and comments about the scenery and weather – Edo is a very bright and charming 4-yr-old.
I was surprised when Olo asked me a question in pretty good English. Seems two Canadian Catholic missionaries came to live in their village a few years back. I asked him if there were now many Catholics in his village. He said – No, not one, but lots of people who speak some English. They would make Wilbur proud.
It was only when Edo said “Adios, amigo Gringo.” That I realized I hadn’t introduced myself.

This is a “Wachiman”, no doubt a variation of watchman. These guys were in Lima, too. They each have about a one block “territory” and provide many services – they will save a space for you, stop traffic while you park (and leave) , “watch” your car during the work day and even wash it for you – sort of. With not enough parking and too much traffic, these guys come in very handy to the 9-5 City folks.

This is the lower class Panamanian answer to the fast food breakfast in Panama City. For a dollar, you get coffee or tea and either 2 tortillas (which are like thin corn hockey pucks) or a 6” serving of fried dough and a small piece of fried beef – extra tough. I opted for the curbside fruit stand up the street. For $1 each, I got a bag of fresh pineapple and fresh papaya. And free napkins.



No matter where I go in the world, my friend and college classmate David “Patton” Alter will make sure I get at least one postcard from him. Usually something, shall we say, eclectic. My part of our understanding is to send him a card in return. Given the scarcity of post cards here and the even worse postal system, I have been putting this off. I found a card up in Valle de Anton at a touristy shop a few weeks ago and today actually located the main COTEL (correos & telegraph) office. A dinky little shop inside a commercial building. The office was very small and crowded, but took only 35 minutes to pay $1.10 to mail my postcard, which I was told would arrive in the US in about “3 to 4 weeks”. Across the hall was a huge area containing thousands of PO Boxes. That is how folks get their mail with no delivery service. Or you just send to “General Delivery” and pray.


 Kuna Catalog Project
This may be my craziest Peace Corps project yet. But, I’m willing to give it a try. 
I’m donating my time and effort to support the original, traditional art of the Kuna ladies in Ipeti and to give my US friends a chance to own some unique, colorful, hand-made art. 
Here’s how it will work:
1. Email me at rgplimpton2000@yahoo.com and tell me what you want. Include your address and phone #

2. Deadline is September 1st . First come, first served.
3. I’ll buy all the stuff and bring it home with me on Sept 23rd
4. I’ll pack and ship everything as soon as I can and send you an email with how much and where to send a check
5. You’ll pay only the cost and postage (if I get tagged at Customs or have to ship an extra luggage I’ll pro-rate)
6. Since all this stuff is one-of-a-kind, you will likely NOT get EXACTLY what is pictured. I will do my best to get an item as similar as possible.
So, there it is. Seems simple enough. Let the shopping begin !!






No comments:

Post a Comment