Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Ecstasy and the Agony

Every Peace Corps volunteer knows that the ecstasy of getting an invitation to serve is very quickly followed by the agony of completing the seemingly endless forms and exams required to serve. The initial reaction is a minor panic of overload. But, like any worthwhile (or other) project, it is more palatable when broken into smaller tasks, which is just how the Corps presents them - as a series of online (and a few offline) chores to be completed. Here is what I did this last week:

Complete physical exam, including vision (but not hearing), lab tests for TB, HIV, Hep B, Hep C, and since I am a male of certain age, colon cancer screen and prostate exam.

Fingerprinting for criminal background check. Kindly done at the local Ponce Inlet police station, where I learned that I have a reputation for always being clocked at 43mph (on cruise control) in the all 35mph area. "Mr 43".

Passport photos and application for a new PC passport (no, I don't get diplomatic immunity) and packing same off via UPS along with both my regular passport and my old PC passport.

Reading 88 pages of background information and signing 7 forms for everything from insurance to press releases.

Getting my Spanish language rating from last service (advanced intermediate).

Vaccinations for Typhoid and the flu (last time the list was much longer, but most of the shots required are still valid from my service in Peru.

Since I had a quadruple by-pass in Dec 2015, I also needed a complete cardio exam, complete with nuclear stress test, ECG and echo. The stress test was interesting, as they no longer make you get on a treadmill. Instead, an injection of something like a triple espresso, with a nicotine chaser is given, which instantly caused a rise in BP and heart rate.

Dental exam and x-rays.

All of these are scanned and uploaded to the PC "portal".

I should also note that the PC reimburses most costs. So, add to the list mailing out the reimbursement forms.

So far, everything looks good, though my vision has slipped to 20/30 and the Medical office may squawk about the 140/92 BP reading. Just waiting for the colon cancer test to come back from the lab and I'll be done.

That's what "the agony" looks like. Really not so bad, in retrospect. And totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment