Friday, January 8, 2016

Getting Ready

It's been just over a year since I left my Peace Corps service in Peru. Time for a new adventure.

I've been invited to serve with the Peace Corps once again - this time in Panama. It will be a short service - just 6 months. I'll be working with an NGO about 2 hours south of Panama City, building water and sanitation infrastructure and training water system operators and training health workers and individuals about hand washing. That's the stated plan. But, alsways subject to modification when I get there.

This time, I'm starting the blog before departure, to give an idea of all that goes into a Peace Corps service. There are medical, dental and vision exams. Fingerprinting and passport applications. While I have a valid passport, PC requires a special passport, issued by the State Dept (no diplomatic immunity) to be used while in service. Because of my heart by-pass operation last December, they also wanted me checked out by a cardiologist, with stress testing, etc. Which, I did and everything looks great. I still have the other stuff to go, but foresee no problems, mostly a lot of waiting for appointments.

Meanwhile, I continue to enjoy the beach, though recent cool weather has precluded swims. I work occasionally with the local Habitat for Humanity, whenever they call and need an extra hand. Also, working a few days a week doing maintenance at a nearby condo. Brushing up on my Spanish and learning all I can about Panama rounds out the schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment