Monday, October 23, 2017

Playa Drago - A Day at the Beach

My hammock at Playa Drago

It’s not all work here in Panama. Sunday, I took my first beach day on Isla Colon (aka Bocas). It’s a 30 minutes bus ride from Changuinola to Almirante, when I catch the high speed boat (launcha) to the island. I get the “senior” discount, so it’s $3.50 instead of the normal $5. The boat service is really
Bocas Town waterfront - lots of boat traffic
well run and punctual. The sad part of the trip is the awful pollution and poverty of the harbor basin, before passing the huge Chiquita shipping dock and heading out into the clear waters of the bay.
Along the route, we pass Isla Cristobal – Christopher Columbus (aka Cristobal Colon) left his name all 
A local wooden boat

over this area. Lots of local wooden boats, carved from a single tree are out fishing, enduring the wakes of all the passing speed boats. Arriving in Bocas town is a treat – I feel like I’m back in the Bahamas or Virgin Islands. The harbor is full of derelict boats and some mega-yachts. Buildings on the waterfront are colorful, with Colonial architecture. The downtown area is very touristy, with craft shops, restaurants and hotels jam backed together. TONS of European back-packers wander the streets.
Touristy downtown - crafts and hostels

At the park, I caught the bus that runs up the center of the island to Playa Drago. The ride is stark contrast to the tourism of town. We passed small outlying houses and villages and vast bamboo forests. I couldn’t help but notice many well structures (occupational hazard) and learned that the government built the wells and distribution system just 5 years ago, in response to a water crisis on the island. The current tourism boom is taxing even this large system. The rich folks, hotels and businesses are getting priority as they can pay the skyrocketing fees, while the poor folks still struggle. Sewage is an even bigger problem. All new construction and older hotels with 15 or more rooms are required to operate their own private sewage treatment plants.
Shuttle boats to Playa Estrella

Arriving at Playa Drago all that vanished from mind. The gorgeous turquoise water and waves took my mind well out of gear. I chatted with the boat drivers who take tourists to the famous Playa Estrella and got my body immersed in sea water ASAP. I snorkeled out to the reef which was loaded with tropical fish. 

The point break in distance is on the Changuinola peninsula
about 5 miles from my apartment
Unfortunately, the hurricane that came through this part of the Caribbean stirred up the bottom sand, which has yet to settle out. So no decent photos.






Lucky for me.... it was SUNDAY !!

The only restaurant was serving Rondon – a fish chowder with coconut milk base. Absolutely delicious, washed down with a Miller beer. Then headed for a hammock slung under a palm tree for a short nap.
Refreshed and relaxed, I boarded the return bus, speed boat and bus back to Changuinola. I think I’m going to like exploring ALL the beaches of the Bocas archipelago.

Another tranquil beach on the leeward side of Drago Point



1 comment:

  1. Oh a bowl of chowda' a beer and a hammock nap.....refreshing indeed!!!!πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete