Sunday, September 4, 2016

Shopping and Farewells

some of the masks headed to the US
I had quite a morning of shopping in Ipeti. I spent just over $600 with the ladies in Ipeti, who were THRILLED !! I tried to spread it around. I bought an extra mola that wasn’t on my shopping list. It was made by a new young mother and it is her first. All the ladies begged me to buy it to help her out and “give her courage”. Someone on FB offered
Some bright colored parumas
to buy it.

All your other orders got filled and I'll be sending some emails on choices later today. 
Many thanks to those who ordered this traditional art. You made their day. Probably their week, as well!
Making things even better – As soon as the buying spree was over, all the ladies headed for Elsa’s tienda. Not to party, but to deposit their
Elsa is president of the community
bank, treasurer of the water comm,
and tattoo artist - BRILLIANT
earnings in the community bank. Global Brigades helped organize this home-grown bank about three years ago. It is a source of great pride in the village that they have their own bank – more like a savings and loan or credit union. If folks need emergency funds, they can go to Elsa’s 24/7 a get up to $50, if they are a depositor or $20, if not. No paperwork, just sign your name next to the amount and say when you will pay it back. They have never had a bad loan and all loans are interest free. They get a small amount of interest at the Banco National, where excess funds are kept. This is a really big deal, since without the community bank, it would be next to impossible for any of these folks to get a loan. And the hours are MUCH better than any commercial bank.


A plug for GEICO car insurance: When I told them, back in March, that I was going on a Peace Corps service and wouldn't be using the car until September, they lowered my premium to $14/month and sent a nice note thanking me for my service. Their online customer service always gets back to me within a few hours and seems to be on-duty 24/7. They also lowered my rate by 8% !!
Their gecko can hang with my geckos any time.
Speaking of geckos, CLICK HERE  to hear a recording of my geckos!!


I shouldn't have favorites
but Pablo was my favorite in Ipeti
Good-Bye and Farewell
Today was not an easy day for me. I went to Ipeti and Pueblo Nuevo for the last time to say Good-Bye to many of my friends. 
While I really enjoy the construction and infrastructure building, in the end it is the people I meet and work with that make this "job" so very rewarding.
My traditional Farewell gift to each of them was a color photo. For many of them, it is the only photo of themselves they may ever have. Each one is given with a note on the back, my gratitude and love.
There was some laughter and there were tears - mine and theirs. Helping them make their villages better has been a joy. Such kind and 
Feisty Lisandro - the new president of Ipeti Water
Committee, with my PC whistle that he now uses
to gather the community 
beautiful folks. Like all the people I meet in this life, I carry a part of them with me, as I leave. Here are a few of the 15 photos I gave out.













Jokester Enrique fiscal of the WC
only openly gay man I met in Panama

Abuelo Lalo - impish and wise drummer

The beautiful Mylin - so proud to be
part of her tradition

No comments:

Post a Comment