Monday, May 9, 2016

FOOD IN PANAMA


One of the many ways that my Peace Corps service in Panama is different from Peru, is what I eat. In Peru, I lived in a mid-size town (pop 6000), with many restaurants and grocery stores within a 2 block radius. So, I ate out often, always lunch and dinner. I cooked a few things – oatmeal, salads and lentil sprouts. And made coffee in the morning, usually with fresh bread from the bakery, with a little butter. But, that was it.

Here in Panama, I live 7 km from town. On the rare occasions that I’m in town or in one of my service sites at mealtime, I may be served a plate of food by the local folk, or dine at the nice little restaurant at the Avicar Hotel. But, mostly, I cook for myself.  The refrigerator gives me the luxurious option to make a little extra, to store in “tuppers”.

Here are my staples :

Lots of fresh local fruit – at the moment, that is watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, avocado, banana, papaya (from my trees) and pear. Soon will come the MANGOES. Citrus will come even later. Fresh vegetables are not great – small cabbages and giant carrots (gotta have my cole slaw), onions and potatoes that seem to have been transported from the US. Plantains are a huge staple with the locals, I’ve tried, but just can’t seem to get them as good as the locals do.  Same with the yucca.

Tortillas in Panama are small (3") and fat (1/2")
Beans and rice are a mainstay here and with me as well. Actually I prefer lentils, as they don’t require a soak and have better flavor. Delighted to find brown rice (arroz integral) in the market in Torti. Fresh eggs, either from my neighbors’ chickens or the market are every day. Fried or hard-boiled. Cheese is “queso fresco”, a soft, crumbly, salty cheese. I supplement with cheddar and Swiss from the City. I’ve also become fond of the fat cornmeal tortillas here. Fry ‘em up with a little butter.

I do fall back on a few canned goods – tuna and mayo for salad and sandwiches. Whole wheat bread ala US factory (here it is Bimbo) is available – there is one small bakery, but not much selection, mostly empanadas and sweet rolls. Pasta sauce works sometimes, with added garlic and onion. Spam, when sliced really thin and fried crisp, makes a superb bacon substitute, as pork is not very popular here – just chicken and beef. A little salt and black pepper for spice. Coffee is Nescafe instant, with some canned milk.

Fruit juice and water (boiled) are my beverage options. Oddly, Welch’s 100% juice is available in apple or grape. Or I bring a quart jug to a liquado (smoothie) stand for some fresh stuff – guava, pineapple or guanabana, at the moment. Mix and match is the order of the day.

Ice IS civilization. And I can make it myself, in limited quantity. A daily effort.

Monthly food cost is about $150, plus treats from the City.


Pretty simple stuff, but it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment