Monday, April 11, 2016

First Day in Panama


Waterfront park with Old Panama City in the background

My hotel is surrounded by skyscrapers

                                                                                                                                            The trip down to Panama was trouble free. Good connections and not full planes. On arrival, I breezed through Immigration in the Diplomatic line, grabbed my bag and passed Customs without inspection.
My driver was chatty, which is always nice. They tend to chat lots more in Spanish. He was surprised that the Panama Papers were such a big deal in the US, Everybody here not only knows the banking score, most participate in it. Here’s the deal : If someone asks you for a “special receipt, you write them one for double the actual amount and you keep a 10% service charge. Or you say No and they go find someone else. It’s taxi drivers, hardware stores, restaurants – anywhere a business might write off the expense. All of the huge skyscrapers are half full or less, but they keep building because that is the fastest way to pad BIG expenses and wash the money.

He also pointed out how dry and brown everything is here. El Nino has caused a much longer than normal dry season. It hasn’t rained since last November and the rains should have started in March. I am pleased to announce that the first rain, albeit light, came this morning. I am taking full credit for it.

I had a nice Indian dinner with some of the Panama PCVs last night. Two were short timers, leaving in a few days and one was in for medical treatment of some disease that is carried by a fly. It eats the eye and surrounding flesh, so not nice. But, the PC MDs here get right on it. Treatment is a intravenous injection every day for 10 days. Not common where I am going, thankfully. And it can only bite the eye or inside the nose or mouth. Weird.

The old and the new

High Rise Sunrise
Prices here in the city are about like suburban US.  Dinner last night was $8 for a nice curry and lemonade. With all prices in Dollars and US currency the coin of the realm and no sales tax, life is easier.
One of the many things I’ve enjoyed overseas is interesting bread. Not so here –n at least in the City. It’s plain Jane white bread, sliced and bagged. They say you have to go to a pastry shop the get anything different. Yuck.

Electricity here is nominal 100VAC, but apparently not all that reliable. In the middle of the night, I heard the fan speeding up and slowing down. So, I got up and put my multi-meter on it – varying between 97V and 108. Yikes. Soon after the generator for the tall building next door kicked on. I guess they have stable power now, but I get the noise. They say it should be stable on the grid “soon”.

OK, starting orientation in an hour. More later.

The President of Panama lives on the top floors of this condo
And so much more there was. The Response Coordinator, Tess picked me up and whisked me to the Peace Corps Office, which is located in the old Clayton US Army base. The place is huge, but the PC just has offices in one of the buildings and fairly modern, at that. We got my bank account set up – Yes, friends, you now know someone with a Panamanian account. Then moved on the get mobile phone and transit cards. Had lunch at the old Army commissary building (fish and  calamari , with Guava juice). I got a peek at my future home in Torti. Let’s just say it is to die for, in the best possible way.

As Mickey D says : I’m lovin it !!


No comments:

Post a Comment